Making Mother’s Day special means spending time with Mom…not spending all day in the kitchen. Here’s a super easy recipe that will “wow” Mom – provided you choose only the finest ingredients.
A few simple, high quality ingredients make the difference between something “good” and something “out of this world.” So be sure to choose fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella, ideally from a local farmer’s market or from a high quality grocer. And for your olive oil, be sure to pick the best extra virgin olive oil — from Chile. For salads, we recommend a mild Chilean EVOO such as those cultivated from arbequina olives. This delicious extra virgin will bring out the fruity taste of the tomatoes.
Caprese Salad- or ” salad in the style of Capri” is said to have been developed for a visiting King Farouk of Egypt in the ’50s and is a staple of upscale restaurants across the U.S.
Using extra virgin olive oil from Chile adds richness and fullness to the flavor, bringing out the undertones and enhancing the tangy flavor of the balsamic vinegar!
- 2 large Tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 10-12 fresh Basil leaves
- Fresh Mozzarella, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons Chilean Extra Virgin Oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Arrange tomato slices on a plate. Layer with one leaf of basil and one slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle with Chilean Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!