Connect with your Facebook account to submit your delicious recipe.
Lobster Buns with Shiso Pesto
Recreate this unique Asian spin on the classic Lobster Roll, named by the James Beard Foundation as one of the best recipes from their July dinners!
Recipe by Chef Simpson Wong of Wong NYC. Photo by Philip Gross.
Yields 8 servings.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Chilean extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 whole lobster, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 cup loosely packed shiso leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, stems removed, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, stems removed, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, stems removed, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 bird’s-eye chili, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped Chinese celery or regular celery
- Oil for frying
- 8 Chinese buns
- 16 thin slices seedless cucumber
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the garlic cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the lobster in the water and cook for 7 minutes. Prepare an ice bath while the lobster cooks. When the lobster is done, transfer it to the ice bath to stop the cooking. When cool enough to handle, shell the lobster and cut the meat into 1/2-inch chunks. Reserve.
When the garlic and olive oil have cooled, transfer to a blender; add the shiso, cilantro, basil, mint, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chili. Purée until smooth. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until serving.
Toss the lobster meat with the celery. Add the pesto to taste and toss well to fully coat the lobster. Reserve.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 6 inches of oil to 350ºF. Working in batches, fry the buns in the oil for about 2 minutes, turning them over several times to ensure even coloring. They should be crispy and golden brown on the outside, but soft on the inside. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
To serve, slice the buns open. Line each bun with 2 cucumber slices and fill with a scoop of the lobster mixture.
See the other JBF Best of July Recipes here:
- Olive Oil Cake with EVOO Pudding & Plums
- Oysters with Spicy Tomato Granit