Connect with your Facebook account to submit your delicious recipe.
Lemon Cake with Chilean Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Love lemon cake? You’ll love it even more when made with extra virgin olive oil from Chile!
- 3/4 cup Chilean Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 5 large eggs, separated (reserving 1 white for another use)
- 3/4 cup plus 1- 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease springform pan with some oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment.
- Finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1- 1/2 teaspoons and whisk together with flour. Halve lemon, then squeeze and reserve 1 -1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and light in color (about 3 minutes). Reduce speed to medium and add Chilean Extra Virgin Olive Oil and reserved lemon juice, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated).
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture (do not beat) until just combined.
- In a separate bowl beat 4 egg whites with 1/2 teaspoon salt at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, continuing to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, (about 3 minutes).
- Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer batter to springform pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until puffed and golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 45 minutes).
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of pan.
- Cool cake to room temperature, about 1- 1/4 hours.
- Remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate. Icing optional.
- For more tasty desserts click here:
- Chilean Extra Virgin Olive Oil Creme Brulee
- Double Fudge Chilean Olive Oil Brownies